Babri Mosque-Some Facts
Posted by The Mindset on November 22, 2010
1. The mosque was constructed in 1527 by order of Babur. Mir Baki, the general of Babur after seizing the Hindu structure from priests, named it Babri Masjid.
2. The mosque was located on Ramkot Hill meaning “Rama’ fort”.
3. Before the 1940s, the mosque was called Masjid-i-Janmasthan (translation: “mosque of the birthplace”), acknowledging the site as the birthplace of the Hindu deity, Lord Rama.
4. The mosque was little used by the Muslim community. This is visible from the adjoining image that the mosque in fact was in a condition of total neglect.
5. After numerous petition from Hindus to the courts the mosque was opened for Hindu worshippers.
6. On 18 March, 1886 Faizabad District Judge gave a judgment on a plaint filed by Mahant Raghubar Das. Though the plaint was dismissed, the judgment brought out two relevant points:
“I found that Masjid built by Emperor Babur stands on the border of the town of Ayodhya. It is most unfortunate that Masjid should have been built on land specially held sacred by the Hindus, but as that event occurred 358 years ago, it is too late now to remedy the grievance. All that can be done is to maintain the parties in status quo. In such a case as the present one any innovation would cause more harm and derangement of order than benefit.”
7. British accounts of the mosque :
“After Babar had gained a footing in Hindustan by his victory at Panipat in 1526 and had advanced to Agra, the defeated Afghan house of Lodhi still occupied the Central Doab, Oudh, and the eastern districts of the present United Provinces. In 1527, Babar, on his return from Central India, defeated his opponents in Southern Oudh near Kanauj, and passed on through the Province as far as Ajodhya where he built a mosque in 1528, on the site renowned as the birthplace of Rama. The Afghans remained in opposition after the death of Babar in 1530, but were defeated near Lucknow in the following year.” Imperial Gazetteer of India 1908 Vol XIX pp 279-280
8. Archaeological Survey of India report
In 2003, by the order of an Indian Court, The Archaeological Survey of India was asked to conduct a more indepth study and an excavation to ascertain the type of structure that was beneath the rubble. The summary of the ASI report indicated definite proof of a temple under the mosque. In the words of ASI researchers, they discovered “distinctive features associated with… temples of north India”. The excavations yielded:
“ stone and decorated bricks as well as mutilated sculpture of a divine couple and carved architectural features, including foliage patterns, amalaka, kapotapali, doorjamb with semi-circular shrine pilaster, broke octagonal shaft of black schist pillar, lotus motif, circular shrine having pranjala (watershute) in the north and 50 pillar bases in association with a huge structure
9. Palaeographic Evidence
Palaeographic evidence of an older Hindu temple on the site emerged from an inscription on a thick stone slab recovered from the debris of the demolished structure in 1992. Over 260 other artifacts were recovered on the day of demolition, and many point to being part of the ancient temple. The inscription on the slab has 20 lines, 30 shlokas (verses), and is composed in Sanskrit written in the Nagari script. The ‘Nagari Lipi’ script was prevalent in the eleventh and twelfth century. The crucial part of the message as deciphered by a team comprising epigraphists, Sanskrit scholars, historians and archaeologists including Prof. A.M. Shastri, Dr. K.V. Ramesh, Dr. T.P. Verma, Prof. B.R. Grover, Dr. A.K. Sinha, Dr. Sudha Malaiya, Dr. D.P. Dubey and Dr. G.C. Tripathi.
The first twenty verses are the praises of the king Govind Chandra Gharhwal (AD 1114 to 1154) and his dynasty. The twenty-first verse says the following; “For the salvation of his soul the King, after paying his obeisance at the little feet of Vamana Avatar (the incarnation of Vishnu as a midget Brahmana), went about constructing a wondrous temple for Vishnu Hari (Shri Rama) with marvelous pillars and structure of stone reaching the skies and culminating in a superb top with a massive sphere of gold and projecting shafts in the sky – a temple so grand that no other King in the History of the nation had ever built before.”
It further states that this temple was built in the temple-city of Ayodhya.
This was not the first time that a Hindu or Jain temple or Buddhist monastery was destroyed by the Muslims and converted to a Mosque. Islam, from the day of its inception has remained intolerant towards other religions. Destruction of non-Muslim religious sites and their conversion to Mosques wass a common phenomenon in Islamic.
The other temple sites which were converted to Mosques are Krishna Janmbhoomi(Mathura), Kashi Vishwanath(Banaras).
These Mosques were not only prayer places, they are the proof of the (destructive) might of Islam and its power of destruction. These mosques were built to show that Islam is the most powerful and nothing can come in between Islam and its aim of global domination. The recent example is “The Ground Zero Mosque”; after the genocide of 3000 innocent civilian American they are now building a mosque over there.
Photo Credit: Wikipedia
Related Posts »